Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Power of Day-Dreaming

When was the last time you let yourself day-dream? I mean, no agenda, unreasonable, big as you can imagine vision of what might be possible for you, or your family, or your business? Well I've been day-dreaming--it may be the fall weather and the crunching leaves and the chill in the air--but my mind has been wandering down some amazing roads.

Growing up, I wasn't a child with a big imaginary life. I grew up with adults. I had much older parents, and siblings who were 20, 18 and 14-years older than me.  We watched 60-minutes, not The Wonderful World of Disney. I did have Sesame Street and The Electric Company--but those shows were adults interacting with puppets talking about practical life-lessons--and don't get me started on Mr. Rogers (creepy a little).

Logical, practical, safe and reasonable were words I would use to describe me growing up. Great traits for a stage or events manager, not ideal for an entrepreneur and wanna-be visionary. In order to make the shift in my approach to life from head-driven to being open to inspiration, I needed tools to help me dream.  I don't mean giving myself over to fantasy as escapism--but using those tools of "what if" to see where life could take me if I were willing to think bigger, deeper, different than just the practicalities of what I have already experienced.

I have found in order to create something from nothing and to chart a path through uncharted territory--I need to have a vision--that concept, belief and imagining that This is Possible.  Simply--if I cannot imagine it, then I cannot create it or become it.

So, day-dreaming--not worrying about HOW,  just imagining WHAT in lots of details.  Not Strategic Planning--but Organic Fantasizing. Really notice: What am I feeling, what are the colors around me, who else is there, what is the environment, what am I wearing, what am I doing, what is the energy. What about this is fun, creative, joy-filled, prosperous, growing me, making a difference in my world? So this is the visualizing in my head part of day-dreaming, but there is more.

I like to turn my day-dreams into vision boards--while many vision boards are pure imagery, mine tend to be mostly words.  I have a magnetic board on the wall next to my desk that I put up quotes, ideas, words cut from magazines, etc.  I like that it allows my "vision" to stay fluid and changeable as what inspires me changes. Having it part of my "work" space, reminds me that inspiration is part of what I want my business to be about. It serves as a daily reminder of what I want to create and how I want to be.

I believe that words have power. What we say about ourselves and to ourselves shape how we move through the world. I find that if I can claim something--write it down or name it out loud, then it is easier for me to get it or become it.  I have written many lists in the past about my next job or apartment--not just a title, but the feel of the place, the quality of my co-workers/neighbors, the commute, the pay/rent, all the little details in detail. More often than not, I got more of what was on my list than not.  I don't know if the list just gives me focus, or if putting out clear intentions lead to clear results.

There is also something powerful for me talking about what I want to be in the present tense.  I am a successful coach. I am a powerful speaker. I run a thriving business.  When I can claim these things out loud (or out in public in a blog) it normalizes it for me.  It makes it possible.

While many people know I am a WNYC junkie, music is also a powerful means of keeping the energy of my day-dreams alive. I have a couple play lists specifically to remind me what I want to be about. It is a great tool to keep my mind off of worrying and to stay in the moment. Worrying is all about trying to control the future--and as much as I can fall into trying to anticipate everything, it is a lot of stress and anxiety that isn't keeping me in my creativity and joy.

So, I am pro-day-dreams, especially if they lead you to take action to make them part of your reality. Day-dreaming also helps me to know what I don't what--when it doesn't feel like my dream, I may be moving in the wrong direction.

So--go forth and dream, write, and imagine your next big career move, vacation, dream home, retirement, way of being--whatever it is that makes your heart pound because that could be yours! When you can "see" it, it is easier to create it. Dream on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are screened before posting.